Our firm excels in resolving complex disputes through arbitration and alternative dispute resolution procedures, at all times focused on achieving the best commercial outcome for our clients.
Our approach to the resolution of commercial disputes is simple and straightforward. We undertake a detailed analysis of the relevant facts and the applicable law. From that analysis, we provide a clear strategy through to the final resolution of the matter, identifying the points that may be agreed and the issues that may be resolved economically by arbitration, adjudication or mediation.
If a dispute is referred to arbitration then we have the experience to ensure a successful outcome. We have acted as lead counsel in arbitrations seated in London, Hong Kong and Singapore and in other Southeast Asian countries. We have extensive knowledge of the procedural rules of the world’s major arbitration institutions as well as the UNCITRAL rules that often govern ad hoc arbitrations and the International Bar Association Rules to which arbitral tribunals increasingly refer in managing the arbitration.
We are frequently instructed by overseas law firms to represent or support their clients in arbitration proceedings in Singapore. We recognise that our instructing firms require assistance throughout the arbitration, from selecting a tribunal that reflects the cultural and legal diversity of the parties to advocating their client’s case under the governing law through effective oral and written submissions.
In acting on behalf of our clients as counsel, our notable instructions include:
- Acting for an international construction company against an engineering company following the catastrophic failure of the foundation system of a high-rise building in Singapore.
- Acting on behalf of a Singapore listed coal mining company against its property and casualty insurers following the collapse of a coal handling facility in Indonesia.
- Acting on behalf of an NYSE listed gaming company against an international architectural company in connection with the design of an iconic resort in South East Asia.
- Acting on behalf of a Mexican oil and gas company against a prominent Singapore shipyard in relation to its claim arising from the design and construction of a semi-submersible oil rig.
- Acting on behalf of a South Asian investor in respect of a dispute with its joint venture partner arising out of the sale of an interest in a national telecommunications company.
Our solicitors and advocates also accept arbitral appointments, sitting as sole arbitrators, party appointed arbitrators, Chairpersons and institute appointed arbitrators.
We are mindful of the costs that our clients will incur in any dispute resolution procedure. We refer our clients to the cost calculator published the Singapore International Arbitration Centre and provide a detailed cost schedule identifying the costs that will be incurred at each stage of the arbitration. In this way, our clients have full visibility as to cost and can make informed decisions as to settlement.
We also work with a number of capital providers who are willing to fund the legal and arbitration costs and provide some protection against an adverse costs award. Our fee structures can also be tailored to ensure that they meet the needs of our clients who require third party funding for their claim.