We assist corporations and individuals in investigating and managing misconduct either perpetrated by their employees or counterparties, or in situations where allegations of misconduct are made against them or investigations are launched by law enforcement agencies.
We have assisted clients in investigating wrongdoing perpetrated by current and departing employees and officers in a variety of areas including theft of intellectual property, poaching of clients, bribery and fraud. We have also assisted clients in responding to investigations by the authorities in Singapore and elsewhere arising from alleged misconduct within the client’s organisation.
Our approach to any potential criminal activity or investigation is to assist the client in conducting a proportionate investigation into the alleged wrongdoing and available evidence and then to advise the client on whether there is any basis for the complaint. Where appropriate we advise clients on self-disclosure and cooperation with law enforcement agencies and have our lawyers successfully mitigated criminal sanctions through this approach.
We work closely with our network of investigators, forensic accountants and, where necessary, local counsel, in responding quickly and efficiently to all manner of scenarios, including the most urgent.
Our lawyers’ notable matters include:
- Conducting an international investigation for an oil and gas services company and advising it in respect of its liability arising from a suspected multimillion USD bribery and kickback scheme involving its CEO and COO in India, Malaysia, Singapore and Abu Dhabi (covering liability under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (“FCPA”), UK Bribery Act 2010 and the Singapore Prevention of Corruption Act).
- Conducting an internal investigation for a Southeast Asia based MNC and advising on its liability arising from a suspected employment pass fraud scheme perpetrated by their local Singapore management. Liaising with the Singapore Ministry of Manpower in reaching a resolution of the case.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a multinational East Asian cosmetics company and advising them in respect of a suspected bid rigging scheme conducted by their head of procurement in Singapore concerning numerous contracts to fit out retail premises.
- Conducting an investigation into a UK based multinational marketing and communications company’s Vietnamese operations and advising on liabilities under the UK Bribery Act and UK anti-money laundering legislation.
- Leading an internal investigation into a suspected bribery scheme conducted by certain employees for a major hotel and leisure company in respect of its hotels in Southeast Asia (including advising on liability under the FCPA and the UK Bribery Act 2010).
- Conducting an internal investigation for a prominent international corporate and financial services company and advising them in respect of their potential liability concerning advice and services provided to 1 Malaysia Development Berhad.
- Advising in relation to a Singapore Police (Commercial Affairs Division) investigation into our client, an international corporate services provider, in relation to allegations concerning contracts that may have been entered into in the name of companies managed by our client (without our client’s knowledge) with an entity subject to UN sanctions.