Our firm is widely regarded as one of the leading insurance and reinsurance law firms in Asia.
We regularly advise and act on behalf of clients from across the insurance industry, including cover holders, brokers, insurers, reinsurers, captives and various professional consultants. In advising clients across the aisle, we pride ourselves on providing advice that is of the highest quality and independent of any affiliation to, or conflict with, the purchasers, brokers or providers of insurance cover.
Our firm has a broad and deep knowledge of all lines of insurance business including property and casualty, construction and industrial all risks, delay in start-up, business interruption, political risk, public and professional liability, D&O and E&O, trade credit, cyber, cargo and hull and machinery.
We utilise this knowledge to advise our clients in policy drafting and interpretation, as well as in assisting our clients to resolve some of the world’s most complex insurance and reinsurance claims.
We regularly represent our clients in insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, as well as subrogated actions against third parties, before Courts and Arbitral Tribunals around the world. We have acted as lead counsel in numerous arbitrations around the world and litigation proceedings in Singapore. The most notable matters, all in excess of USD 20 million, in which we have acted include:
- Acting for an international construction company in connection with a property damage claim arising out of the failure of a high-rise building foundation scheme in Singapore.
- Acting for a power generating company in connection with property damage and business interruption claims arising out of machinery breakdowns in the Middle East and North Africa.
- Acting for a listed mining company in connection with a property and business interruption claim arising out of a landslide and the collapse of a coal handling facility in East Kalimantan.
- Acting for Japanese insurers in connection with property damage and business interruption claims arising out the Thai floods and wide area catastrophic property damage.
- Acting for global insurers and reinsurers in connection with a contractor’s all risks claim arising out of the construction of an expressway in the Philippines.
- Advising various global insurance companies in connection with more than 10 property claims arising out of the Christchurch earthquakes, valued in excess of US$ 200 million.
- Acting for a Philippines reinsurance company in connection with the recovery of multiple property damage claims under its various retrocession arrangements.
- Acting for a Lloyd’s syndicate in connection with a property damage reinsurance claim following destruction of a model house in Korea and reported in the Singapore law reports.
- Acting on behalf of insurance and reinsurance brokers in connection with claims resulting from the placing of insurance and reinsurance programmes across various business lines.
Our lawyers believe in giving back to the insurance industry. They frequently speak at insurance industry events and are recognised as thought leaders in the resolution of complex claims and product development. Our lawyers include a Past President of the Insurance Law Association of Singapore.