Our firm regularly advises and acts on behalf of clients from across the power generation industry.
Our firm acts on behalf of owners and operators of major power generation plants in the pursuit of insurance claims for property damage and business interruption losses resulting from machinery breakdown as well as the delay in start-up following any delay in the commissioning of the plant.
We have acted for clients in connection with the significant cost consequences of various catastrophic turbine failures occurring in Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Turkey, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand and Singapore and secured recoveries from Insurers of in excess of US$ 75 million per loss event.
Our firm also acts on behalf of contractors in connection with construction failures that have delayed and disrupted power generation projects in the Middle East and Asia. Our counsel experience together with our extensive network of industry professionals and technical experts, has enabled us to assist clients in resolving some of the most complex construction disputes in the power generation industry.
Our notable matters include:
- Acting for a Malaysian power generating company in connection with property damage and business interruption claims arising out of the repair and balancing of a steam turbine.
- Acting for a Saudi Arabian power generating company in connection with property damage and business interruption claims arising out of failures within its furnace and boiler equipment.
- Acting for a Singapore power generating company in connection with a property and business interruption insurance claim arising out of extensive turbine blade failures.
- Acting for a global construction company in connection with delay in start-up and liquidated damages claims resulting from the installation of equipment in a major power plant in Turkey.
- Acting for a Japanese insurance company in connection with the construction of a hydro-electric plant in Indonesia and property damage resulting from failure of the head race tunnel.
In advising and acting behalf of our clients, we recognise the complexity of power generation projects and the importance of simplifying the issues confronting the many parties involved in order to achieve the optimum outcome for our clients. Proceeding on that basis, we work with our clients and their consultants to identify a case strategy that provides a clear road map to the resolution of the issues in dispute whether by award, judgment or negotiated settlement.